I decided to take Hwy 142 west from Goldendale, WA and passed this place. I think it was a museum of some sort.

There were lots of views of both Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood along the way. This one is Adams.

This picture was taken of Mt Hood at the same place that I took the previous picture of Adams.

Hwy 142 follows the Klickitat River until it flows into the Columbia

It is famous for both it fishing and white water kayaking

I'm not sure if these are early Foxglove or not, but they were plentiful and beautiful

The City

These first time kayakers are getting their instructions. It was actually quite comical watching them, but it was all serious business to them.

The water chutes that form in the river become more frequent and impressive the closer you get to the Columbia.

The kayaker and motorcyclist love it.


I totally expect plenty of screams if they actually make it to this section.

I pulled into this rest area.

These guys pulled in right after me. Both are retired fire fighters.

A Barge, tug, and Mt Hood.

Mt Hood, a tug and a barge.


I always enjoy riding on these metal bridges.

The last time I was here, Patience was with me.

There are plenty of sturgeon in the viewing ponds.

Nice seeing something that weighs more than I do!





Taste like catfish



They breed quite a few different species of fish here at the Bonneville Hatchery.


The grounds are old, established and very beautiful.

Horsetail Falls




At the moment, the house is closed for remodeling, but you can still take a trolley ride to all of the falls

View of the mighty Columbia from the vista point.


Many miles of back up on the east bound I-84. Glad I was headed west.

I'm staying at my Stepdaughter's place and had to take a picture of where all of the pillows go and in what order so I can leave it the way I came.

At the moment, I hadn't decided which one to sleep in. However I did decide on this one.

 

Doug rode over from Seaside to join up with the North West chapter of the PowerRiders

We decided to take the number one rated motorcycle road out of Portland, OR

After getting Doug super charged with my stories about how beautiful this ride is, he isn't looking too impressed with the endless burned out forest. At least they are in here harvesting the wood.

Millions and millions of board feet of Doug Fir burned out, I hope not in Doug's honor.

A lot of young replanted forest but also a lot of semi mature trees.

At least it still looks good near the river.

Very few people out today

Never saw another person at the pull outs


Becoming bold and rebellious we decided Schroeder wasn't going to outdo us so we committed a double violation!








Another rider going the other direction.

I think that is Mt. Washington on the far right of the range.

Doug is asking if we are in Deadwood

Detroit Reservoir Marina

Someone need a break

So I took one too.

I've been here when this was only the river bed. It's nice to see it full again.

We stopped for lunch in Gates

We decided on Mexican. What else, eh Rocky?

The road home was through some very beautiful farmland.


Until we reached Silver Falls State Park

You have to hike to most of the falls so we just viewed the ones we could see from the road.


I thought I could see a cavern behind the falls so I took a 20x close up and was surprised to see two people sitting back there


Getting ready to head over to Seaside for some more riding.

We took the road less traveled through St. John's

Then crossed the St. John's Bridge



Our first view of the ocean after reaching the coast.

Doug, pretending it his first time here.

I'm always amazed at the size of some of the Oregon Driftwood


Not exactly something you want to see while boogie boarding 


Tummy was asking for a bowl of clam chowder before heading to the house.

Maybe the very best on the coast



Mine was delicious, but Doug's came with a piece of peanut butter cake

Looking for some valve vaults

It took awhile, but we finally found them. Just had to follow the wire.

Doug is petting some of the little goats on his daughters farm

Very playful, friendly and cute.

Not so friendly playful or cute

I guess she is waiting for mama to come back



Keeping and eye on me just in case she/he needs to run.

Foxglove is everywhere

Doug said we are going to visit a lighthouse. This looks more like a birdhouse to me.

The Farm

Walking into Young River Falls we saw this cool tree root.

Looks like a Hobbit House

And there he is!

Young River Falls with no bling

Doug at the falls

Lanny at the falls

A cool old ship anchored in the bay

The Meglar bridge across the Columbia at Astoria.

Looking back across Columbia to Astoria.

A lot of fortunes made here with this fish

He's taking me to the lighthouse I think

Looks more like a boat launch than a lighthouse.

A little foggy, the ocean, maybe they need a lighthouse here

What's a lighthouse without a gift shop?



The lighthouse at Cape Dissappointment

Where the ships go when the bulb burns out!

One side or the other, about equal.

Hoping to look this good when I'm 205 years old.

A three dollar tour.



I wasn't able to figure out what this was for over hanging the cliff kind of below the lighthouse.

I think there is road construction every time I cross this bridge

Might as well take a shot from the bridge

I think that bridge would be a second option for us to get back home.

The Flavel Mansion


Some of the movies filmed in Astoria were Goonies, and Kindergarten Cop with Arnold Swartzenager

Got this view of the bridge from the Astoria Tower parking lot.

Only my picture of the top of the tower turned out.

We've been having some excellent clam chowder here the last two days. We switched to halibut fish and chips today.

I sort of wish I had ordered the deep fried ones too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

n